Eat Clean (No Crap!). Train Smart. Be Awesome.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eat Clean (No Crap!). Train Smart. Be Awesome.

Workout Logs for people who want a No Crap Life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lauriel's WO Log

Go down 
+4
jen
KarinFranklin
cougie
Lauriel
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sbornheimer

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Your video is great   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Glad you included it. We did sit ups today and I really felt like I could not go any faster.

And, Karin, I know what you mean. I felt slow in my WOD today but I didn't cheat. :-)
Back to top Go down
KarinFranklin

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 12:14 pm

You did great! Try not to let yourself be bothered by people who are doing it faster by doing it differently. I remember two guys doing ring pushups at our box a while back. I had to count for one of them. He was barely unlocking his arms. The other guy's ring pushups were totally legit. When my guy was done i wanted to tell him he'd done "zero", but i didn't. Everyone knew what the truth was. "S" may have had the higher numbers, but "T" got more respect.
Back to top Go down
Lauriel

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 7:09 am

Feeling redeemed...

Yesterday was a WO at home due to water issues at CF PHX... The WO was to find max jerk in 10 minutes, followed by Annie. i totally have a hate hate relationship with Annie. The last time I did it I failed miserably -- did my double unders one at a time, and it took me like 18 minutes to complete it. Prior to that, I had taken a lot less time. But double understa come and go with me. i have to work on them, keep in practice. One of those "skills". i have been practicing, and i didn't think they could get any better than thay have been as of late, so in a way, I was excited to see that Annie was the WO. Was eager to try, but scared too...

Anyway, did the jerk in about 15 minutes. I would have tried more weight if I had more time... But I did 163#, which I am really really happy with. Then did Annie in 7:21, and didn't miss a single double under :-)

Interestingly enough, I was curious how people can get times of 5 minutes, 4 minutes, etc. I went searching and reviewing videos of Annie in short times, and found the speed was gained by sacrificing range of motion and anchoring feet for the sit ups. Many people don't even come up all the way, and/or their feet are anchored. All this allows them to move quicker through the sit up. Well, it actually is not a "sit up", but a curl part-way up. Frustrating...

Video of jerk :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MH3z-0NFyM
Back to top Go down
http://laurielluther.blogspot.com/
Lauriel

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 10:00 am

AMRAP 20 minutes

3 dead hang pull ups
6 Front Squats at 135#
9 Pushups
13 rounds

Then: Pull a sled with 70# 400m

FUN!!!
Back to top Go down
Lauriel

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 9:58 am

cougie wrote:
hey. y'all have NO fucking idea!

working out next to Lauriel is like being with an olympian. ok maybe i'm blowing smoke but she consistently pushes, pulls, lifts, carries and drags SUBSTANTIALLY more than I ever will. cheers

E, you crack me up!!!!!
Back to top Go down
cougie

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 9:51 am

hey. y'all have NO fucking idea!

working out next to Lauriel is like being with an olympian. ok maybe i'm blowing smoke but she consistently pushes, pulls, lifts, carries and drags SUBSTANTIALLY more than I ever will. cheers
Back to top Go down
cynthiaj

cynthiaj

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Beastly! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lauriel

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 8:39 pm

OK, Friday and then today pretty much did me in...

Friday was an AMRAP in 15 minutes of

12 double kettlebell Cleans (with 35# KBs in each hand)
9 double KB front squats (same 35# KBs)
6 KB push presses (same)

i did 6 rounds, and 1 clean extra...

Then we did Prowler sprints with 2 25# plates. The prowler weights 75#, so that is 125# pushing sprints. 3 sets for 50M. legs and shoulders were toast!!!

Then Saturday...

5 rounds of:
200M row
3 deadlifts (at 205#)
5 HSPUs
done in 11:14

i was super excited about the HSPUs. I did the first 2 sets unbroken, the third I did 4, then the last 1, and the 4th and 5th I brok up once. Probably the best they have ever been! Super happy!
Back to top Go down
KarinFranklin

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:21 am

Lauriel wrote:
Thanks Karin! I think it is 55. i was pretty excited about it.

You're right, i must have goofed with my calculator! Even cooler!
Back to top Go down
Lauriel

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:08 am

Thanks Karin! I think it is 55. i was pretty excited about it.
Back to top Go down
KarinFranklin

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 10:41 am

Lauriel wrote:
Haven't posted in a while...

Yesterday:

Front squat for 3-3-3-2-2-2
135#-155#-175#-195#-205#215#

Then clean pulls, 4 sets of 3 at 153#

Then 10-9-8-7...1 of:

Dead hang pull ups and push ups, done in 11:00
Kind of slow, but I was super excited that i did my first 10 dead hang pull ups unbroken. Very Happy

I'd be super excited, too! That's awesome! 46 deadhangs? You are my heroine.
Back to top Go down
Lauriel

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 7:54 am

Haven't posted in a while...

Yesterday:

Front squat for 3-3-3-2-2-2
135#-155#-175#-195#-205#215#

Then clean pulls, 4 sets of 3 at 153#

Then 10-9-8-7...1 of:

Dead hang pull ups and push ups, done in 11:00
Kind of slow, but I was super excited that i did my first 10 dead hang pull ups unbroken. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lauriel

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 12:39 pm

You ladies made me laugh out loud!!!
Back to top Go down
MsPattyR

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 11:55 am

I would give a 10 yr old to be able to jerk that much LOL! alien
Back to top Go down
cougie

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 11:16 am

that, my friend, is a veritable fuck ton of weight.

Smile

cheers
Back to top Go down
Lauriel

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 2:32 pm

oh happy day... I'm getting better at puting my clean together with my jerk. I can clean a lot, I can jert a lot, but i haven't had a chance to do them together as one movement for quite some time. Today i did at 138#. Life is good!
Back to top Go down
cougie

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 9:51 am

Girl.....i SAW you master those bad boys! I SAW you do 50 dus with no problem at all!!!

ha!

My thought is this:

When I am faced with someone whose behavior is horrendous like that, I take a step back and say, basically to anyone who will listen, Razz :

I AM SO GLAD I DO NOT HAVE TO WALK THE PLANET LIKE THAT. I AM SO HAPPY TO BE ME.

farao afro queen

(all personalities!)
Back to top Go down
Lauriel

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 5:48 am

Good stuff, Beth!!!

As a follow up, I switched ropes. My arms were so tired from the turning of the rope, i went to a lighter rope, one I had used before that i had liked, but that at one point, caused me to lose my double unders.

The first time out the gate with the new rope i did 35 dus. Then I did 3 sets of 50 -- stopping myself at 50. Day before yesterday, 2 sets of 57. I am resting them for a few days, along with my shins. But all seems good. :-)
Back to top Go down
KarinFranklin

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Twisted Evil ::like:: Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
woobums

woobums

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 9:24 pm

Another way to deal with it is to set yourself up to work on your double unders relatively near by.
It is very important to continue to work on a skill that you have not mastered, you see.

Use an extra long rope.
Preferably heavy cable. (Be aware that heavy cables cause worse welts on your shins and fore arms. Perhaps wear a body suit.)
Continually try to manage your double unders with gusto.
Gusto is important.

You may accidentally travel ever so slightly into her personal space prior to accidentally losing control of the cable and having it whip away from you or wrap nearby items or people. These things happen, or so I hear.

Smile nicely as you apologize for any welts or inconvenience that may have resulted from your accident.

Get right back on the horse and try it again. Quitters never win.

Smile nicely yet again as you apologize for losing control in her personal space again.

Repeat until you feel you have perfected your double unders for the day.

You may want to offer an ice pack or bandaids to her.

To show her you care and that any injuries were purely a matter of crazy random happenstance.
Back to top Go down
KarinFranklin

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 10:32 am

She's being a bit of a jerk, rubbing it in. There are two ways of handing this (they aren't mutually exclusive, either). 1) to realize that her behavior is about HER issues and it's your choice how YOU react (not always easy, i know) or 2) to try to calmly explain to her why that sort of behavior isn't appropriate.

As long as you are giving it your best effort, there is no reason for you to ever be ashamed. There will always be someone who is better at something than you are. Competition is fun, but ultimately you have to compete against yourself, foremost.
Back to top Go down
Lauriel

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 7:28 am

Thanks for the words, ladies. I ususally don't beat myself up so much. Seriously. I am the first person to preach, "it is what it is". The "bragger" I was referring to is nsot bragging beacuse she finally did something, she seriously is rubbing it in. When I receive text messages with her time (that beats mine) followed by "BOOM!" -- i see it as a hahah, I beat you, not "I finally achieved something I've been trying to do". She is extrememly competitive.

I practiced with a new rope yesterday, and it was good. Fingers crossed that it stays that way.
Back to top Go down
woobums

woobums

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 10:37 pm

Maybe when they 'brag' about it, they don't realize it can be seen as rubbing it in. They might just be thrilled that they finally did x in y minutes?

One thing my coach has had to beat into my skull is to not be negative, not try comparing myself to the others, and to have fun. I've seen time and again that when I get keyed up about a certain skill, I am guaranteed to suck at it. When I relax and stop viewing it as a life or death situation and a complete definition of myself as a success or failure, I usually do better.

Double unders are a bear...one thing I found useful in getting them is to do a handful of singles before trying to get into the doubles. A lot of folks only do one single before leaping into doubles, and usually get tangled. Wait till you 'feel' the rope. Also, what I found myself doing was double-single-double-single. Supposedly that's also common, and I know it allowed me to keep my focus when I had to think about the jumps.

The only one you need to perform for is yourself.
And when you're in a crowd of crossfitters, you know they're so wrapped up in their own work , they don't even see you except if you're still working when they are done & at that point they're cheering you on and wanting you to succeed.

Soap box being put away now. I'm just a bit hung up on this sort of thing b/c I know how much beating myself up has been a waste in the past...
Back to top Go down
Lauriel

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 11:55 am

Part of the issue for me is that i know it is supposed to be a sub-3.5 minute WO, and I know some who have done it in that, and love to brag about it. Love to "rub it in" not in the "spirit of crossfit". So I find it upsetting, and embarrassing. But I am encouraged to try harder, and to practice...
Back to top Go down
cougie

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 9:46 am

Hey L. I watched you during the WOD and I thought you were in PHYSICAL pain. I walked over to Jenn and asked what was up...

There is not one person on the planet who has mastered all things. I understand the desire to be good at everything. Given your abilities, I can also understand the frustration of having a hard time with having a hard time with something like DoubleUnders.. something that is so "core" to CrossFit.

However, the moment this becomes something we cry about rather than something that is fun, motivates us and pushes us in positive ways - something is terribly, horribly wrong. That is my opinion but I hold it strongly. Being frustrated is OK (in my opinion) when it quickly turns into a shrug and a smile saying -OK! Now I have to work on this! This isn't life or death. This is not going to bring me down a notch in the eyes of my peers. It's FUCKING DOUBLEUNDERS.

I don't in any way mean to preach in public. What I'm saying is that you are a stellar athlete and earn (I said earn) the respect and admiration of all of us. EVERY DAY. Maybe letting up on yourself just a little can go a long way in allowing you to completely appreciate the athelete you are, and give you the space to shrug, laugh, and say.. doubleunders? Hell, I've accomplished everything else.. I can do this no problem with some daily practice again.

Let us watching you motivate you with our respect and confidence in your abilities rather than bring forth feelings of - oh shit, they are watching and i don't like how i do this!

cheers cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lauriel's WO Log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lauriel's WO Log   Lauriel's WO Log Empty

Back to top Go down

Lauriel's WO Log
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Eat Clean (No Crap!). Train Smart. Be Awesome. :: The Crapless Workout Logs-
Jump to: