Eat Clean (No Crap!). Train Smart. Be Awesome.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eat Clean (No Crap!). Train Smart. Be Awesome.

Workout Logs for people who want a No Crap Life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Deb's WOD Journal

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ddivers

ddivers

Deb's WOD Journal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deb's WOD Journal   Deb's WOD Journal EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 9:09 am

I had my 1st fish oil "episode", & was burping the fish oil I took in the morning, at my PM WOD.
Thinking it was probably my gallbladder complaining about having to digest that fat, I took a digestive aid.
My gallbladder gets a little fincky at times.
Fish oil will continue to be my best friend!

I must have had beginner's luck on the brand of fish oil I purchased at the CF gym in West Seattle. No fishy taste, at all. I got the Lemon
Flavor, for the occasional after burp and it is so much easier for me, than swallowing pills.

Knee is SO much better today, after doing Thrusters last night. I did NOT do a deep squat, but DID do the entire WOD. It took me 39 minutes,
the times on the board were in the 20 minute range for everyone else. Reminds me of the times I posted when I first started!
I am doing "Rehab WOD's." Smile

Deborah
Back to top Go down
KarinFranklin

Deb's WOD Journal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deb's WOD Journal   Deb's WOD Journal EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Drinking it is so much simpler though. Just wash it down with something.
Back to top Go down
Lauriel

Deb's WOD Journal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deb's WOD Journal   Deb's WOD Journal EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 12:47 pm

I tried the stronger healthier brand too, but had a hard time getting past the "drinking" of the fish oil instead of the capsulated versions.

I am currently taking 12 capsules a day -- at 1000mg each. When I start training harder (doing doubles or tripples in a day) I will up my fish oil. I havev taken as much as 16 capsules a day.

Also, be careful on the serving size. Sometimes they will say x amount of DHA and x amount of EPA per serving, but then the serving size is 2 capsules or 3 capsules, so you need ot take that into consideration in the calculations.

bottom line is that the labels are important. Know the serving size and the DHA/EPA rations for the pills you are taking. These can sometimes be found on line if not on the label.
Back to top Go down
http://laurielluther.blogspot.com/
ddivers

ddivers

Deb's WOD Journal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deb's WOD Journal   Deb's WOD Journal EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Fish Oil.....an entire WOD topic of its very own!

I had NO idea it was this potent of an anti-inflammatory! With my knee, I could defintaley feel the difference once I increased my doseage.
From 1 tsp to 9 tsp!!!

A "side" benefit, I started noticing after a few days of this doseage, my skin is clearing up! I have had milia for a few years now, and have only
found a skin care regimen that keeps the adult acne decreased, but it has never gone away. The fish oil has reduced the inflammation going on
with my face..........halalueah!!! (phonetic spelling!!)

I have been taking the clinical grade Omega 3 oil from strongerfasterhealthier. It totally agrees with my tummy. I got the lemon flavor, & notice
that I can taste the lemon when I burp......but, that's it.

I wondered about the EPA and DHA amounts. This label shows a range.

Yep! Count me in as a higher dose of Fish Oil from now on. Spendy, but worth it!

I will check out the Spectrum brand and give it a try too.

Do you read the Heart Scan Blog? Dr. William Davis....
He recommends 2 brands of Fish Oil -

Pharmax Finest Pure Fish Oil - 1800 mg EPA $26.95/200 ml
and $58.95 / 500 ml

also

Nordic brand (more concentrated)
Pro Omega Liquid 2752 mg EPA
I beLIEVE I found it online, the Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega Fluid - 4 0z. $36.00

I am curious how much is a "ton".......?? Just for comparison's sake.
Back to top Go down
Lauriel

Deb's WOD Journal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deb's WOD Journal   Deb's WOD Journal EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 11:15 am

Deb, you are so right about fish oil. Fish oil needs will vary based on work output, diet, weight, so many things. I think Robb recommends the WHole 9 tool as well - http://whole9life.com/fish-oil/ The thing people don't think about are the amounts of EPA and DHA. Most fish oil packaging doesn't contain the individual breakdown, but the combined one, so it sometimes makes the callculations difficult. And our bodies will respond differently to different fish oil. I know Robb really likes the Kirkland brand (or at least he did), but my body can't stand it! Fish burps and upset stomach -- yuck. I have had no issues with the Spectrum organic brand, although it is more expensive. And I take a ton!
Back to top Go down
ddivers

ddivers

Deb's WOD Journal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deb's WOD Journal   Deb's WOD Journal EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks Lauriel.....I'm right there WITH ya on that!

I have learned a TON about healing because of this injury. I wasn't taking enough fish oil, for onet thing.
Jill Peterson, we met on this blog, sent me Robb Wolf's Fish Oil Calculator, what a difference that made!

I now know it is ICE after an injury, for 3 to 5 days. And, to keep range of motion DO keep excercing, just modify it.

There is no question, that the CF community is supportive and knowledgable! I love it!

Deb
Back to top Go down
Lauriel

Deb's WOD Journal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deb's WOD Journal   Deb's WOD Journal EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 7:51 am

Love it when I hear good news that does not include a surgical solution!
Back to top Go down
ddivers

ddivers

Deb's WOD Journal Empty
PostSubject: The Knee   Deb's WOD Journal EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 11:21 am

Hi Cougie,

My knee is improving. I found a chiropractor who is a Crossfitter up in Seattle, who does a treatment called Graston Technique.
Amazing how effective it is for this type of injury.

He dignosed me by putting me through several range of motion tests and by feeling my knee and around the knee.
Turns out, I injured the Meniscus, but it is not torn.

So, now I am following the protocol of icing, taking 8 tsp of fish oil, eating food that doesn't increase the inflammation and doing "light duty" on the
exercising.

The pain is gone, I walked normally yesterday for the first time. The knee is still on the mend, and will be for a while.......
And, last night was the first night it didn't ache in the middle of the night. I HATE that!!

Will have to see how long it takes before I can get full range of motion back and be able to do my "less modified" WODs again!

Thank you for asking............it's nice to know somebody cares!! I say that tongue in cheek, because I have peeps in my life who DO care.
I just really am enjoying this larger community of CF. The amount of support and also information has helped me in countless ways!!!
So, thank you for real !!! REally!!!

Happy Saturday!

Deborah
Back to top Go down
cougie

Deb's WOD Journal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deb's WOD Journal   Deb's WOD Journal EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 10:06 am

How is your knee? Do you have any word on it yet?
Back to top Go down
ddivers

ddivers

Deb's WOD Journal Empty
PostSubject: Deb's WOD Journal   Deb's WOD Journal EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 10:17 am

Wed 2/2/11

Warm Up

5 minutes on foam roller
5 minutes stretching

pvc pull throughs

WOD:

200 KB (15#) Snatches in 10 minutes

(Trainer did NOT have me do:)
Double Unders
Knees to Elbows
Hamstring Sit Ups
Floor Wipers

This was the upper body workout while my knee is healing.
Hot/Warm Epsom Salt Bath and I was walking NORMALLY......Yeah!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Deb's WOD Journal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deb's WOD Journal   Deb's WOD Journal Empty

Back to top Go down

Deb's WOD Journal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Eat Clean (No Crap!). Train Smart. Be Awesome. :: The Crapless Workout Logs-
Jump to: